Enable tapping by default

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 18 09:35:43 UTC 2014

On 11/18/2014 11:29 AM, Les Howell wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 15:50 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
>> drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Things are not black and white there is a "disable touchpad while typing"
>>> option which would solve your problem while not making the impression that
>>> something is broken like it is now.
>>
>> Possibly, but there is also the risk of accidentally tapping when you
>> only want to move the pointer but your finger happens to tremble a
>> little. (That's not about Parkinson's disease. Even to perfectly healthy
>> people it's difficult to hold absolutely still.)
>>
>> Does anyone care to present some evidence showing that this works well
>> for people in general? Note that I'm not against changing this default.
>> I'm against changing it based on nothing but a baseless belief that it
>> won't bother people.
>>
>> Björn Persson
>
> I have dry fingers... All the time.  Tap to click drives me insane, as
> well as some of the socalled gesture enhancements.  Capacitive screens
> also go nuts because dry fingers generate more static electricity and
> many devices simply do not have sufficient hysterysis to manage to
> differentiate close to touch, or static from real contact.

You don't have to convince anyone that tapping is annoying :) I also
find it annoying and disable it. The question is what should be the
default for Workstation's target audience. It's not easy to answer,
because we don't have any metrics. So we just assume what most users
would expect from their touchpad.