Abotu setting 'PermitRootLogin=no' in sshd_config

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 21 08:42:52 UTC 2014

Am 21.11.2014 um 08:11 schrieb P J P:
> Sshd(8) daemon by default allows remote users to login as root.
>
>    1. Is that really necessary?
>    2. Lot of users use their systems as root, without even creating a non-root user.
>       Such practices need to be discouraged, not allowing remote root login could be
>       useful in that.
>
> Does it make sense to disable remote root login by default? If so, do we need to just report it to the maintainer or it would be treated as a feature?

normally if you care for security you disable password logins at all,
setup key-authentication and "PermitRootLogin without-password"

many machines i maintain only have a root account for login
why? because they are servers for specific tasks and *any* non-root
login would be followed by "su - root" anyways and for automated rsync
scripts backing up data only root has access you need it also

for all of that you need a initial ssh login in most cases (except you
work with a CD/DVD containing the key in case of a local install)