Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Fri Nov 21 10:46:51 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-20, 16:17 GMT, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> Every piece of Fedora is like that, and yet I don't see any
> other software doing useless-for-me opt-out tracking.
> (Also, who am I paying? All authors of Firefox, or only the Mozilla
> employees?)

How many multizillion LoC end-user applications able to compete
with their proprietary opponents we have in Fedora? I know about
one: LibreOffice, and a) as much as I like LibreOffice and its
developers are for me one of the biggest heroes of the FLOSS
universe, the reality is that they don’t keep that neck-to-neck
run with Microsoft Office, b) I think it is possible we still
wait when the development of LO gets to the similar state as
Firefox and they will need to get some money to keep going.

“End-user” is there because other large pieces of Linux are paid
by companies (not least by Red Hat) who spends tons of money on
their development. However, not enough people buy end-user
software so the resources are distributed accordingly. How many
people Red Hat employs for kernel and how many for Firefox?

> Is there now an *obligation* to give back? Because there never has been
> such a thing.

Of course, there always was and is. “You were freely given,
freely give away”. But no “obligation” doesn’t have to mean
“legal obligation” so nobody will sue you, if you are
a free-rider. There are such things as “moral obligations”. If
the only limit on your behavior is the letter of law, I am sorry
for your friends and relatives.

And of course, if you really insist on non-monetized purely
FLOSS-driven browsers, they are there as well. Go and use the
browser formerly known as Epiphany or something else. I believe
they are more or less useful, and if the freedom is so important
for you, you will gladly sacrifice some functionality, won’t
you?

Matěj