shipping patches from Debian in Fedora package: licensing

Felix Schwarz fschwarz at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 24 13:34:10 UTC 2014

A while ago I noticed that a Debian package has some useful patches for some
package and some of these patches are required to update the Fedora package. I
was wondering if there is a summary about licensing of Debian patches and if
it is acceptable just to copy Debian's patches into Fedora (with proper credit
of course) [1].

fs

[1] I think the patches itself are fine to ship also considering the Fedora
upstream-first policy:
- patches have been submitted in the official issue tracker
- upstream project is pretty inactive but not dead
- patches are fairly small, mostly build-system changes for distributions and
  fixing the test suite