CLI tools in Gnome Software?

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat.fwd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 22:25:26 UTC 2015

/*Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org>*/ wrote on Tue, 23 Dec 2014
12:43:40 -0600:
> On Tue, 2014-12-23 at 17:12 +0100, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
>> Are CLI tools welcome in Gnome
>> Software?
> No, we don't consider CLI tools to be "applications," and only
> applications should be displayed in GNOME Software.
>
> See also:
> https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/application-basics.html.en

It's fine if you don't consider them 'GNOME applications', but I'd
suggest to consider them 'Console applications'. And, if you are really
interested in only GNOME applications, I'd suggest removing all
non-GNOME applications from GNOME Software too. IMHO, it's just funny
that something like gedit and Windows notepad can be considered
'applications' but GCC can't!

I don't mind if GNOME doesn't consider console applications as
applications; but I really think that Fedora should not go that route.
Certainly, the concept of 'console applications' is a widely recognized
concept; and I find associating
'applications' with .desktop files, icons and windows just ridiculous
and confusing.

Personally, I won't suggest anybody trying GNOME Software as a serious
software management application for Fedora, as it is simply misleading.
I'd suggest it as a good looking software which needs a resolution wider
than 1024 (I really don't see why it needs to be that wide! It doesn't
fit my 1024x768 screen which is really annoying) and can present a few
GUI applications you can find in Fedora repositories. It's certainly not
a 'software management' tool, and also not a 'Fedora application
management' tool. I would tell them to use a proper software management
tool, and consider GNOME Software mostly as a toy or a tool to find out
about some software that they might not notice normally. It's actually a
'Do you know that Fedora has Foo software?' tool.

Regards,
Hedayat