Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jan 5 18:59:10 UTC 2015

Am 05.01.2015 um 19:36 schrieb Miloslav Trmač:
>> While I think you are right in some cases like cashier, isn't this
>> discussion really about the Fedora Workstation?! Since for this the
>> target user is a developer, can we just agree that in this case the user
>> needs both CLI and GUI apps (although some developers certainly sticks
>> to one of them).
>
> The gist is that
> * Nobody _should_ need to use a terminal: non-developers¹ don’t need it, and developers deserve a better environment.  It’s “only” a matter of writing lots of new software.  AFAICT Workstation would in some ideal future want to get to this state.  (And non-Linux operating systems are getting closer and closer to this ideal over time.)
>
> * _Currently_ most Linux developers do need to use a terminal.
>
> So there is no right answer, only a trade-off: Make terminal usage discouraged and difficult for current users, and hopefully get better non-terminal environment in the future, or make terminal usage easy and the generally recommended way, and give up hope on the developer UI significantly improving for the future users.

that's a completly wrong black/white viewpoint

* make terminal usage *never* discouraged and difficult
* hopefully get better non-terminal environment in the future
* keep terminal usage easy
* do *not* give up hope on the developer UI significantly improving

these points can live at the same time

BUT discourage terminal and *hopefully* get better non-terminal
environment *in the future* is by all respect pure bullshit because i
don't throw away my car now in the hope of get a private aeroplane in
the future