iax -> iaxclient-libiax

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 18:14:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

To get sflphone packaged, iax-0.2.3 is needed. This release of iax is
part of the iaxclient source tree [1], the changes never went upstream
(latest official release was 0.2.2), probably because iax upstream was
since abandoned - the svn repo [2] does no longer exist. Projects using
iax seem to use bundled forks of the library [3], it looks however like
in most cases (including sflphone) it is the one from the iaxclient
source tree. Indeed, one source states [4] "Look to iaxclient for
libiax2 development".

So what I'm planning to do is to retire the iax package in Fedora, and
have add to the iaxclient package the subpackages -libiax and
-libiax-devel, containing the iaxclient bundled libiax2, with appropriate

Obsoletes:   iax < 0.2.3
Provides:    iax = 0.2.3

Obsoletes:    iax-devel < 0.2.3
Provides:     iax-devel = 0.2.3

(Question at this point: is it legal to provide a version which is not
the package version?)

In Fedora, only one other package has a dependencies on iax, which is
coccinella. That Requires however is incorrect, from the sources it
turns out only iaxclient is actually used.

For rawhide I suppose all this is no problem, the question is what to do
with the F21 and possibly F20 however. iax-0.2.3 is abi incompatible
with iax-0.2.2, so a soname bump is required, although, as mentioned
above, no Fedora package actually does require iax-0.2.2. Still, some
users might.

So returning to sflphone, I guess the way forward is to make the changes
outlined above for rawhide, and ask for a bundling exception for libiax
in sflphone for the stable releases.

Any objections or comments?

Thanks,
Sandro