Removing (or trying to) BerkeleyDB from Fedora

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 8 14:38:49 UTC 2015

Am 08.01.2015 um 15:18 schrieb Chris Adams:
> Once upon a time, Jan Staněk <jstanek at redhat.com> said:
>> The topic of BerkeleyDB v6 in Fedora was already discussed at this list
>> [1], and it turned out that peaceful cooperation of multiple libdb
>> versions in system is very problematic. As some packages cannot use
>> newer versions, we are basically stuck with v5 - unless we get rid of it
>> altogether or find another solution.
>
> Why does v6 having an incompatible license mean we should get rid of v5?
> BerkeleyDB is widely used because it meets a need, and v5 meets that
> need in a license-compatible way for many programs.  What benefit is
> there in trying to remove it?

NO NO NO AND NO AGAIN

* spamassassin
* postfix
* netatalk

these are only after thinking 5 seconds which *heavily* makes use of it

if it ain't broken don't break it - nobody is going to migrate his bayes
to MySQL in case of SpamAssassin, rebuild his netatalk cnid-db or
rewrite all his complex postfix configurations and scripts generating
hash-tables and run postmap on them for some *political* reasons

yes, i can build libdb5 at my own - but to gain what?