Removing (or trying to) BerkeleyDB from Fedora

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:22:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Jan Staněk <jstanek at redhat.com> wrote:
> However, as I have only very hazy ideas on how some of the dependent
> packages are used or why they need libdb, I would like to ask for
> cooperation, ideally from the package maintainers themselves. The
> information on how to remove dependency, what would need to be done in
> addition to removing the dependency, or why it is a bad idea to try
> drop the dependency are all valuable.

I brought up the case of XEmacs in [1].  It can use any of BerkeleyDB,
gdbm, or postgresql, but is currently configured to use BerkeleyDB.
The conclusion of that thread was that, because BerkeleyDB is used in
local-only mode (no server, no network involved), the new license
would not be a problem.  That's good, because switching database
implementations at this point would be painful.