Removing (or trying to) BerkeleyDB from Fedora

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 8 15:25:01 UTC 2015

Am 08.01.2015 um 16:10 schrieb David Cantrell:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 09:32:04AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:
>>> Why does v6 having an incompatible license mean we should get rid of v5?
>>> BerkeleyDB is widely used because it meets a need, and v5 meets that
>>> need in a license-compatible way for many programs.  What benefit is
>>> there in trying to remove it?
>>
>> In addition to Chris' question, shouldn't this effort be driven
>> upstream first?  I'm concerned that removing BerkeleyDB from these
>> packages within Fedora will become a series of ever-lasting
>> micro-forks.  Also, is there a recommended replacement for libdb?
>
> It's not a drop-in replacement, but I have seen sqlite be a viable option
> for projects wanting some database library and wanting a stable API.  Many
> upstream projects that can use berkdb have grown sqlite support as an
> option

that option don't help existing setups starting with a virgin config
after upgrades and so get completly broken

you also need to keep in mind that Fedora is a *operating system* and
the purpose of a OS is to build up own work on top of - than includes
scripts for maintain setups and configurations and so on

if you break bdb and so over years perfect running postfix setups with
scripts generate and postmap configs that user will have the last time
in his life installed Fedora on a server - that can't be a good
consideration after F21 shipped a server product