Hundreds of bugzilla mails on one day

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 11:37:33 UTC 2015

It has happened again. :-/

| This message is a notice that Fedora 19 is now at end of life. Fedora
| has stopped maintaining and issuing updates for Fedora 19. It is
| Fedora's policy to close all bug reports from releases that are no
| longer maintained.
|
| [...]

As I found it odd, that again I would receive so many bz mails for old
tickets, initially I had started taking a look at some, but there are too
many packaging issues where the packagers don't respond because they
dislike Fedora's packaging guidelines.

It's not managable for me to revisit them all. I also cannot jump in and
take over work, such as resolving implicit conflicts between packages.

Especially for implicit conflicts, a reminder:

  Implicit conflicts are _nasty_ and so far are not detected by package
  tools prior to the transaction check. What does that mean? Dependency
  solving and downloading of possibly huge packages will be done without
  indicating a problem, only to fail before installing the packages. All
  the user then can do is to try excluding a package somehow, which may be
  difficult if it's pulled in as a dependency.

I've also noticed a few version upgrade requests with no response from
the package maintainer -> potentially unmaintained Fedora packages.

This is not encouraging.