F22 System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent code

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Jan 11 02:10:27 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 03:19:28PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:

> >> Can we throw prelink out as well when we do this?
> >

> > Prelink is already gone. We haven't been running it since F19, IIRC.
>
> It's not completely gone, there's still a number of packages that run
> it as part of the install or build process because I've had to fix
> ppc64le/aarchh64 package builds because we don't have it at all on
> those platforms. I think we also ship it by default.

Note that the prelink package contains a useful utility called
"execstack".  We used to use this on OCaml programs to fix executable
stack flags (but not lately, since I patched the OCaml compiler to do
the right thing).  So you may have seen a dependency on prelink which
wasn't really about prelink.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v