F22 System Wide Change: Set sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

Marian Csontos mcsontos at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 17:37:12 UTC 2015

On 01/12/2015 08:52 PM, Milan Keršláger wrote:
> Dne 12.1.2015 v 20:46 Kevin Fenzi napsal(a):
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 20:39:35 +0100
>> Milan Keršláger <milan.kerslager at pslib.cz> wrote:
>>
>>> ...snip...
>>
>> Hey Milan.
>>
>> I understand you have a strong opinion on this topic as does pjp.
>>
>> This is however no reason to bring personal attacks into things.
>
> Oh well. I'm stupid! Sorry. Or... really did I said something like this?
> To not have technical argument is ok as seems.

Milan, calm down. You may not be stupid and no one has suggested so by
now. But you may be perceived as troll in this thread.

Seems you misunderstand the difference between hypothesis and
demonstrating something. All you have made is a claim based on water. No
facts. No technical arguments. Just. An. Opinion. Have I missed
something more than that?

I will paraphrase you: Is this about security or about your ego?

It is not to say I disagree with your opinion that simply disabling root
login is bad idea.

Not because it would make things less secure. With password logins
enabled the bar is so low it is not easy to make it lower. (May be it
does not apply for an average Fedora user but definitely does for an
average computer user which Fedora now tries to target with some changes.)

But because it is a hindrance. IMHO when contemplating incompatible
change of the default let's make it worth the trouble and make the
default really secure by disabling password logins completely and for
all accounts.

I would love to see an Security spoke added to Anaconda where one could
override level of security and particular details like this.

-- Martian