Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-01-07)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:50:06 UTC 2015

On 13 January 2015 at 15:39, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> > It is not even close to feasible.
> [...]
> > It is still not reasonable to get everything done in that period of
> > time.
>
> Okay, so, in an ideal world, what would it take to bring the mass
> rebuild time down? This schedule is, nominally, 5 months and 10 days
> from the F21 release, and if we consider that to include a built-in one
> week slip buffer for each of alpha, beta, and final, it's exactly 6
> months — our theoretical target.
>
> If we have bottlenecks that make it impossible to construct this kind
> of six-month schedule, we should at least eye what it would take to
> reduce them. Is this a hardware problem? Storage speed? People power?

You forgot "too many packages?" There are 15842 packages in Fedora 21 and
16230 in Rawhide. That is a lot of packages that have to be rebuilt
possibly multiple times due to FTBFS, multiple architectures, etc.

2.5 weeks is 25200 minutes. That means a mass rebuild is doing 0.6 packages
a minute across 3 architectures. That is pretty darn fast

--
Stephen J Smoogen.