Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-01-07)

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowi at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 07:53:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-01-13 at 15:58 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> The Fedora 21 mass rebuild took about 40 hours. ;)

BTW, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_22_Mass_Rebuild is empty.
What are the goals of a mass rebuild now, given that we just had one
before F21 Beta?

> That's really not the reason for more time, its the fallout from that.
> When the mass rebuild is tagged in, sometimes there's things broken in
> the build root, those need humans to look at and fix. Then, there are
> all the packages that didn't build for whatever reason, those need
> humans to look at them and fix them up. The ones with broken deps need
> fixing, etc.
>
> So, while the mass rebuild itself is less than 2 days, it takes a while
> to stablize things after that. If we branched right after the mass
> rebuild we would have to then stablize both rawhide and f22.

A *lot* of packages broke in the F21 mass rebuild.  I spent the better
part of two months helping fix FTBFS bugs until Alpha freeze.

> It's hard to say how much time we really need there... it depends on
> how much stuff got broken, how hard it is to fix and how much time
> maintainers have to fix things.

The F21 included new versions of gcc and openjdk, and a new default
compile flag (-Werror=format-security), all of which caused major
breakage.  Without knowing what the goals are for this rebuild, it's
hard to say for sure, but I doubt this time would be quite *that* bad.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Associate Software Engineer, ARM