F22 System Wide Change: GCC5

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 14:42:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 02:37:02PM +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 14 January 2015 at 14:31, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Again, how is that different from F9, F11, F13, F15, F17, F19?
>
> Only a partial answer to your question, but one fairly significant
> change (as you know) compared to the GCC upgrades for those releases
> is moving from C89 to C11 as the default C standard for the compiler,
> which could have quite some consequences. Or do you plan to have
> -std=gnu89 added to the default compiler flags?

That is to be decided based on Mass rebuild results.
I think in many packages it means no changes needed at all, in others
only very small changes, then of course there could be packages with helplessly
obsolete codebases where -std=gnu89 will be probably the only possibility,
at least short term.
The C99->C11 step is a fairly minor, C89->C99 is bigger, but mainly for
old packages that haven't ever seen -Wmissing-prototypes or similar options.

	Jakub