F22 Self Contained Change: Gnome Shell - New Notifications

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 15:52:46 UTC 2015

Jaroslav Reznik píše v St 14. 01. 2015 v 13:00 +0100:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Gnome Shell - New Notifications =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GnomeShell_NewNotifications
>
> Change owner(s): Florian Müllner <fmuellne at redhat.com>
>
> Redesign the way in which notifications are shown and kept available in gnome-
> shell.
>
> == Detailed Description ==
> The message tray is one of the remaining weaker points of the original gnome-
> shell design. This change will replace it with a new implementation of
> notifications that avoids the problems of the current implementation.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> ** Implement the new design
> ** Get the changes reviewed and merged upstream
>
> * Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> * Release engineering: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
>
> == Contingency Plan ==
> N/A (not a System Wide Change)

What is still not very clear to me is if IM will still be somehow
integrated into the Shell. I know I will be able to reply directly in
the notification, but now if I miss the notification I can always go
back to the contact in the message tray and see the conversation there.
It's been a killer feature for me and many people around me and since
Empathy itself is not very usable in GNOME 3 it'd be a pity to lose the
integration.
What about app icons for the notification area (Dropbox, Pidgin,...),
where will they go?

Jiri