F22 System Wide Change: Set sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

P J P pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jan 14 16:54:09 UTC 2015

   Hi,

> On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 8:01 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> Ok, I state my opposition to without-password too inequivocably here.
> Mostly because it is just the same as 'no', given there is no way, in a
> regular install to seed a key into the root account.
>
> Except you have no mechanism to inject a key at installation time,

   Sure. Could you please elaborate how would you like this key to be
injected into the 'root' account? Feature page does have a listed
workflow change:

  "Anaconda installer OR maybe OpenSSH package needs to create
   initial set of authentication keys for 'root' user."

It'll help if you could add your details to the ether pad, for
later reference.

  here -> https://www.piratepad.ca/p/ssh-remoterootloigin

> The intention may be not, then I'll call it poor execution/planning and
> still oppose this move *at this time* unless there is proof we address
> the usability problem first.

  We are still in the proposal state, not execution yet. IMO, before
we request the respective upstream developers to provide the needed
functionality, we need to state and agree on the usability requirements.
That'll be useful in the evaluation of the feature by the FES committee too.
Otherwise it's a chicken-and-egg problem.

I'd request all(those who are opposing) too describe their requirements in
the etherpad page above.

Thank you.
---
Regards