Meeting minutes for Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2015-01-14)

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Jan 16 16:34:34 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

> On 16 January 2015 at 01:31, Bohuslav Kabrda < bkabrda at redhat.com > wrote:

Ok, I think that there may be some misunderstanding happening here. The proposal as we discussed it was, that (as our WG sees it):

* ring 0, ring 1 and ring 2 are the content built in Fedora's Koji == official Fedora repos
* ring 0 is JeOS as defined by Matthew in the .Next proposal
* ring 1 contains the packages that are "critical" in the sense that they are used to compose LiveCDs of our products/cloud images
* ring 2 contains anything that anyone wants to build as an "extension" to rings 0 and 1 (and it's still in Koji as it is right now, e.g. bazillion of python/ruby/perl extension packages, applications that aren't on LiveCDs etc)

We meant to categorize packages that are currently in Fedora (and we also wanted to extend the ring proposal to go beyond that with rings 3 and 4 - Copr/Playground and other stuff, but this was actually not discussed into detail yet).
Please note, that this proposal is absolutely not about imposing some restrictions on who can/should maintain what. It's really just a categorization of packages based on our WG's perception of importance to Fedora.
The only practical change that we suggested is that packages in rings 0 and 1 should get some more QE/integration tests to better guarantee stability. These packages are defined implicitly by their presence on LiveCDs/cloud image, there's no intention of creating a "cool group".

I hope this explains the matter. If this still feels wrong, I'd like to continue this discussion, as it's not our intention to make someone feel excluded or unimportant.

Slavek