python-dateutil update

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 13:27:07 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-01-18 at 14:35 -0700, Pete Travis wrote:
> On 12/08/2014 09:47 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 09:10:59AM -0700, Pete Travis wrote:

> upstream
> installer,

> >> Great, thanks for responding.   I'm a *light* calibre user, but I'd be
> >> happy to help test with a newer dateutil when it becomes available if
> >> that's the direction you are going.
> > You can just install the python-dateutil-2.* package and test away ;)
> >
> > Looking at the list and your annoucement mail again, I wonder if it
> > might be better to bump python-dateutil to 2.2 again as soon as the
> > updated python-dateutil15 is available, and simply modify packages
> > which either explicitly depend on dateutil < 2 or exhibit problems to
> > depend on python-dateutil15. Proven packagers can do that trivially if
> > necessary. Otherwise this could drag on for months.
> >
> > fedocal and python-django-tastypie are the only packages which
> > explicitly require python-dateutil < 2. If you wish, I can volunteer
> > file bugs to change the dependency for F21 and rawhide for those two
> > packages and do it myself after a week if the maintainers don't
> > respond or are fine with the change (got to use those provenpackager
> > privs for something :)).
> >
> > Zbyszek
>
> Okay, I finally have things in motion here.... python-dateutil15 in
> rawhide is usable as described and an update for F21 will be available
> soon. Provenpackage at will :)

Please, *DO NOT* push incompatible updates to Fedora 21. This is not
acceptable. Python-dateutil 2.x is incompatible with nearly all packages
that use 1.5. Treat this like you would a SOName bump in a C package.

I see that you have built python-dateutil 2.x and python-dateutil15 for
Rawhide and F21 already and have made them Conflicts: each other. This
is seriously wrong. Please follow Fedora's Python Eggs Guidelines[1] for
how to create parallel-installable versions so that they can live on the
system simultaneously.

Once the packages are parallel-installable, before they go to stable
(too late, for Rawhide...) you need to set a flag day for packages that
previously required python-dateutils 1.5 to change their Requires:

If they must continue to use 1.5, then they need to
Requires: python-dateutil = 1.5
and then follow the directions up there to ensure that their built
Egg-Info requires.txt explicitly lists this as well. This will cause
Python to pull in the correct version if both are installed.

If they can work on 2.0, then they can just leave it as Requires:
python-dateutil and whichever one is on the system will be used.

Also, please do not file dozens of bugs without following the Mass Bug
Filing process[2]. It makes life difficult for everyone.

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python_Eggs#Multiple_Versions
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_bug_filing