F22 Self Contained Change: Database Server Role

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Tue Jan 20 14:03:36 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> said:
> The Fedora Server Product will provide a standard deployment mechanism for a
> Linux Database Server (powered by the postgresql project).

How about just calling this the PostgreSQL Server role?  Why should this
get the generic "database" name (what if the MariaDB maintainers want to
make a Database Server as well for example)?  No matter the engine,
users have to know what they are connecting to; there is no generic
"talk to the database server" protocol, so I don't see a reason to try
to make a generic database server role.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>