DNF and mock

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Jan 22 14:58:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 15:15:48 +0100
Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com> wrote:

> I just spoke with two members of DNF team about default usage of DNF
> in mock. I would like to share outcomes of this meeting.
>
> First I would like to state that you can already optionally use DNF
> in your mock by setting: config_opts['package_manager'] = 'dnf'
> in your
>   /etc/mock/site-defaults.cfg
> It is present in mock for half a year and all known problems have
> been resolved for some time. You can even set this option per chroot
> target. E.g. put this line only in /etc/mock/fedora-rawhide-x86_64.cfg
> and then only rawhide-x86_64 builds will use dnf while everything
> else will use yum.
>
> DNF should be default packager manager in Fedora 22, so I started
> thinking how it affects mock.
>
> I have a notion, that after branching of Fedora 22 I will change
>   /etc/mock/fedora-rawhide-*.cfg
> to use DNF by default. I.e. everything build for Fedora 23 would use
> DNF for building.

This is not really true. Koji write out its own mock configs and will
not be using dnf for any operations. for anytime soon.  koji hass no
way to use different tools to install chroots we will continue to use
yum to install the buildroots for the foreseeable future. so it would
mean that locally your builds would use dnf but in koji they will use
yum.

> At the outset I thought that we use yum for older targets (epel-7,
> fedora-22..) indefinitely. Or to be precise until those targets will
> be EOLed. But that would imply that yum have to be present in Fedora
> until Fedora 40 [1]. This is very unlikely to happen. More realistic
> expectation is that yum will disappear around Fedora 27 [2]. Which
> means that in  Fedora 27 you either will be unable to build packages
> for epel-7 or you will have to use DNF. This is quite distant future
> and we will try our best to make this transition as much flawless as
> possible. I just want to make you aware in advance. Of course if you
> want to help, you are very welcome.

we use the same builders in fedora to go all the way back to epel5 and
we need to ensure things still work.

> I expect that we will be building Fedora 22- always by yum due to
> short Fedora life cycle. Yum will be still present in Fedora 24 for
> sure.

I am happy to sit down with you at devconf and talk about how things
work for building fedora to make sure that you keep the use cases we
have in releng in mind when developing mock as right now we feel like
we are being served very poorly by upstream mock. There is many things
to keep in mind and we need to move forward. we just need to do better
about not breaking existing things that work today.