initscripts

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 13:49:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 23.01.2015 um 19:26 schrieb Dan Winship:
>>
>> On 01/23/2015 10:53 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>
>>> on servers and static machines you don't need any dynamic network
>>> configuration
>>

>> which is why NM in F22 will have a "configure-and-quit" mode for such
>> machines
>

> which is still no valid reason to reconfigure network on tons of machines
> which just works for years untouched just for the fun of change something

And especially because there are at least 3 things that NetworkManager
does badly, if at all:These are:

* pair bonding
* KVM bridge configuration
* VLAN tagging

It tidn't handle them *at all* the last time I ran Fedora on a server,
although admittedly I've not tried them on Fedora 21.They're critical
for virtualization servers that handle more VLAN's than they hve
physical network ports and need high availability, and the bridge is
critical for KVM guest environments that are not behind a NAT.