amending the new package process

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Sun Jan 25 15:19:56 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 12:32:55AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> > My experience with the new package process is that the review process in
> > Step 6 doesn't work. For some of my packages it took 3 months for a
> > reviewer to appear, some others more, some where reviewed faster. My
> > understanding is that it depends on how interesting the package is, how
> > many packagers you know, or whether you enter the review swap market.
>
> Indeed, the review process is the main roadblock to getting things done in
> Fedora.
>

> IMHO, one easy solution to alleviate the problem would be to let experienced
> packagers (ones that are provenpackagers and/or packager sponsors) import
> their packages without a review (or with a self-review).
I doubt that pp and sponsors have packages stuck in the review queue.
Those people have to communicate with other people in Fedora a lot, so
attracting some attention to a review ticket should not be hard. Do
you have any examples?

> We already trust
> these packagers to know what they're doing, and in particular, to know the
> packaging guidelines. So they should be perfectly able to verify the
> compliance of their own packages on their own. Doing this would clear a
> significant portion of the review queue instantly, and free up valuable
> reviewer time for those packages that really do need reviewing, those coming
> from new packagers.
You're probably right a self-review would be sufficient in a great majority of
cases, but let's check that it's actually necessary first.

Zbyszek