DNF replacing yum: fedup?

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 26 23:12:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 14:37 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Chris Murphy <
> lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Adam Williamson <
> > adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > > I note the ReplaceYumWithDnf Change page:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReplaceYumWithDNF
> > >
> > > says nothing about fedup. However, fedup uses yum:
> > >

> > Seems like fedup is only used on Fedora 21 and older to upgrade to
> > Fedora 22. So dnf support would be needed to get Fedora 22 to
> > fedup to Fedora 23. No?
>
> I guess right after Fedora 22 branch, it would break the ability to
> use fedup to upgrade from Fedora 22 to Rawhide...

There is in fact no strict *technical* requirement for anything to
move from yum to dnf in F22. yum will remain in the F22 package set,
it is not being removed.

However, the Change seems to me to have been written with the basic
idea that yum shouldn't be installed by default any more and nothing
that's a core part of Fedora should use it any more - for e.g., the
Change incorporates moving anaconda to dnf, even though technically
speaking there's no *need* for this, we could if we wanted to ship F22
with anaconda using yum but the installed system using dnf.

So given that, I wanted to clarify the status of fedup.

If F22's fedup depends on yum, then people with 'clean' dnf-only
systems are going to get yum installed when they want to upgrade to
F23. Of course, we could ship F22 on release day with a yum-based
fedup then provide a dnf-based one as an update, but that seems a bit
messy.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey