GUI applications writing garbage to stdout/stderr

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Tue Jan 27 19:10:05 UTC 2015

On 01/27/2015 07:03 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> All those are warnings, not "garbage" or debug output. File bugs about those, there should be zero warnings in normal usage.
Shouldn't they trigger abrt then? more importantly, is it possible to
capture that in the QA process during distribution composition? I
believe a lot of those warnings aren't environment dependent, but rather
would appear in a generic installation, so it would be appropriate to
detect them early and take some corrective action---either block them or
at least log bugs.

I think it should be a given that we do not install applications that
won't even properly start up. In the past I have reported/fixed several
bugs in less-important packages where the application would not even
start or crash on some basic functionality; I was never sure whether
autoqa could detect such errors. OTOH, I haven't seen such basic
failures in few recent Fedora releases.