DNF replacing yum: fedup?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 15:38:21 UTC 2015

> There is in fact no strict *technical* requirement for anything to
> move from yum to dnf in F22. yum will remain in the F22 package set,
> it is not being removed.
>
> However, the Change seems to me to have been written with the basic
> idea that yum shouldn't be installed by default any more and nothing
> that's a core part of Fedora should use it any more - for e.g., the
> Change incorporates moving anaconda to dnf, even though technically
> speaking there's no *need* for this, we could if we wanted to ship F22
> with anaconda using yum but the installed system using dnf.
>
> So given that, I wanted to clarify the status of fedup.
>
> If F22's fedup depends on yum, then people with 'clean' dnf-only
> systems are going to get yum installed when they want to upgrade to
> F23.

Aren’t there cases where yum and dnf resolve ambiguous dependencies differently?  If so, anaconda-installed and fedup-installed systems may end up with different packages, which seems fairly undesirable.  I suppose as long as fedup is part of the release criteria and get tested there shouldn’t be huge surprises, but using the same mechanism for all of (anaconda, fedup, post-install CLI, post-install GUI) seems like the ideal we should be aiming for, not as an aesthetics matter but as a “technical requirement” to minimize the testing matrix (for both individual packagers and distribution-wide QA).
    Mirek