Filing Bugs for Python 3 Switch

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 11:58:17 UTC 2015

> > So, at today's FESCo meeting there was a good deal of discussion about
> > python as default:
> > http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2015-01-28/fesco.2015-01-28-18.02.log.html#l-41
> >
> > in which we agreed defer this to F23, file bugs against rawhide after
> > branch (+6,0,0)
>
> I really don't get this. I was over the log and didn't find a compelling
> argument as to why this should be postponed. Can someone sum the arguments
> up, please?

Let me try, based on my understanding of the conversation: whatever the technical changes / progress in migration are (and the actual migration can of course technically be staged over time), we can only have a public announcement (and PR) that “Python 3 is now the default” once.  We do have some flexibility in what that announcement means, but it should be enough so that we will never need to follow up with a “Python 3 is now really the default, trust us this time” Change/announcement.

FESCo felt that not “enough” has been ported yet (in particular that the default install will not be ported by F22, and that Anaconda is unlikely to make it), hence postponing the Change / announcement aspct.
    Mirek