NowpPublishing fedora developer PGP keys in DNSSEC

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 16:15:37 UTC 2015

On 29.1.2015 15:27, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015, Petr Spacek wrote:
>
>>> Fedora is probably the First to use OPENPGPKEY at a large scale.
>>>
>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-01
>>
>> Paul, thank you for doing this experiment! I definitely support it.
>>
>> For people who do not watch dane-list closely, please keep in mind that:
>> 1) It is just draft, nothing is set in stone.
>
> It's basically waiting for Working Group Last Call (WGLC) and we're past
> the point of Early Code point assignment. So the format is not expected
> to change anymore.
>
>> 2) The -01 version of the draft does not fully specify data format so it
>> actually does not define an interoperable standard.
>
> It does. It refers to RFC-4880 that defines the OpenPGP standard for

Let's discuss this on IETF mailing lists and not here...

For completeness: I claim that it reference to RFC 4880 is not sufficient:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-01#section-2.1
2.1. The OPENPGPKEY RDATA component
   The RDATA (or RHS) of an OPENPGPKEY Resource Record contains a single
   value consisting of a [RFC4880] formatted OpenPGP public keyring.

refers to:

3.6. Keyrings
   A keyring is a collection of one or more keys in a file or database.
   Traditionally, a keyring is simply a sequential list of keys, but may
   be any suitable database.  It is beyond the scope of this standard to
   discuss the details of keyrings or other databases.

I can't imagine how you could implement an interoperable implementation based
on definition "It is beyond the scope of this standard to
   discuss the details of keyrings or other databases."

Anyway, this belongs to IETF mailing lists. Please reply to dane-list, I will
pick it up from there.

Petr Spacek  @  Red Hat