Is there a process for requesting packaging?

fedora at activityworkshop.net fedora at activityworkshop.net
Sat Mar 7 09:53:27 UTC 2015

Hi list,

I'm an upstream developer and I'm unfamiliar with the Fedora processes,
so my apologies if I'm asking obvious questions or asking in the wrong
place!

I've seen lots of pages about how to become a Fedora packager, and the
processes for reviewing packages, but I haven't yet found anything
suggesting how I could go about _requesting_ whether an already
experienced Fedora packager might like to adopt another package.  Is
there such a thing, or is the only option that I dive into learning how
to do it myself?

To be specific, I would be interested in submitting the GPL2 java
application "GpsPrune" for inclusion.  It's already in Debian, so maybe
that's a good starting point.  And there are unofficial rpms in
OpenSuse, which may also be helpful.  There are only a small number of
dependencies, most of which are optional, and I would be more than happy
to help from my side to tweak things if necessary.

I believe that if there were packagers who had already created packages
for java applications, and were willing to take on another one, it would
take orders of magnitude less effort than if I were to try to do it
myself and ask for it to be reviewed.  Is there a way to submit a
request for packaging?

Thanks for your time,
activityworkshop

Links for those interested: