ocaml cairo

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Mar 19 15:19:49 UTC 2015

> Orion, I realize there was not anything actionable in my last
> emails.
>
> Could you take a look at this scratch build:
>
>   http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=9273794
>
> and check that it's suitable for what you want.
>
> If plplot is using ocamlfind, then we may need to change the META file
> in ocaml-cairo.  I essentially made up the package names off the top
> of my head (as '-package cairo' and '-package cairo.gtk') since
> upstream doesn't provide any guidance.
>
> Rich.

plplot does:

ocamlfind c -package cairo2 -linkpkg test_cairo.ml -o test_cairo

with test_cairo.ml:
module C = Cairo

and:

ocamlfind c -package cairo2.lablgtk2 -linkpkg test_gtk.ml -o test_gtk
module G = Gtk
module C = Cairo_gtk

Since apparently the opam name is "cairo2", and since no distribution (yet)
carries this version, it assumed that's what the name would be:

commit 84d2a859f31b69c1d440a7a61d5c57528de94355
Author: Hezekiah M. Carty <hez at 0ok.org>
Date:   Thu Jul 3 14:46:13 2014 +0000

    Switch to a different OCaml Cairo binding ("cairo2" in opam)

    This is a more actively maintained binding to the Cairo library.  It is
    unfortunately not packaged for Debian at this time so interested users
    would need to install the library through opam.  opam is generally the
    recommended way to install and manage OCaml libraries (this cpan, pip, etc)
    so this isn't a particularly serious limitation.

debian report on the issue:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=649439  CC'ing debian
maintainer.

plplot is fairly responsive, so if we think they should change, they may be
willing to.  CC'ing Hezekiah.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com