F22 Self Contained Change: Disabled Repositories Support

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 14:28:30 UTC 2015

On 20 March 2015 at 08:59, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at cepl.eu> wrote:
> Sorry, I am just a stupid idiot writing in one of those hated
> interpreted languages

Nobody said anything of the sort. I write stuff in python all the time.

> What’s the realtionship between the interpreted
> languages and said duplication?

Okay, here's a little example. Try to write a python program that can
return exit code 0 if /etc/resolve.conf exists, the catch being that
it has to return within 10ms on hardware 3 years old. The deal breaker
is the time of the python interpretor to startup, and the time to
interpret the file.

Now imagine you're trying to write a command-not-found implementation
that uses python to load yum. The Yum codebase is pretty huge, and by
the time the 50ms  "user needs results now" timer expires we're not
even at "loading metadata" let alone returning results.

Python is awesome for prototyping and for little scripts. It's just
not awesome at everything.

Richard.