/boot on Btrfs still not supported, main problem is anaconda and grubby

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Fri Mar 20 19:11:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Josef Bacik <josef at toxicpanda.com> wrote:
>> Seems like it's easier to just ditch grubby than patch it, if it takes
>> years to merge patches to provide simple functionality that other
>> distro's already have then we just need to drop it and go with some
>> other solution.  Thanks,
>
> Linux has more bootloaders, distro derivatives (made mutually
> incompatible for sport), and configuration file formats than you and I
> both have fingers and toes. I can count Microsoft and Apple total for
> all device categories on one hand.

There was this:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/

It seems to have died.

> Grubby is effectively the marriage counselor for this bootloader
> insane asylum we have on Linux. So I don't actually think it's easier
> to ditch grubby unless there's political will to pick one bootloader.
> One configuration file format. And a handful of supported bootable
> layouts. And also get FESCo a 12 month supply of earplugs to help
> avoid the ensuing ire of users whose favorite nutty layout is no
> longer supported.

Please let's pick a standard (or at least Fedora standard) way to
store boot loader entries.  The current system is awful.  It's extra
awful when you have to reinstall or switch boot loaders for whatever
reason and all your boot entries are only listed in the old config
file.

--Andy