/boot on Btrfs still not supported, main problem is anaconda and grubby

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Mar 20 19:30:35 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well there's u-boot on ARMv7 and probably on aarch64 (uEFI is for the
> server spec, not necessarily other form factors), what about those
> users interested in using gummiboot instead of grub2?

Gummiboot supports no file systems, only what the firmware itself
support. Simpler than GRUB is fine, but it's too simple. Recently the
maintainers stated only firmware RAID will be supported, which means
a.) you have to have proprietary firmware RAID on your motherboard,
and b.) no Btrfs self-heal features because in firmware raid the whole
drive goes into a container managed by the firmware and mdadm.

There's some obscure work that wraps GRUB's fs modules into EFI file
system drivers, which would obviate everyone having to reinvent the
wheel by integrating file system support into each bootloader. Then
gummiboot could directly boot from Btrfs just by permitting a config
format change that allows reading from other volumes. And mjg59 did
write up such a variant on bootloaderspec, but no comments or merging
of this idea by upstream as far as I'm aware.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/MatthewGarrett/BootLoaderSpec/
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/drivers.html

--
Chris Murphy