Regarding GSoC project - AskFedora UX/UI & Functionality Overhaul

Suchakra suchakra at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 22 16:59:07 UTC 2015

Hi Anuradha,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Kalpani Anuradha
<anuradha.12 at cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Anuradha Welivita from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am very much
> into UX/UI related stuff and hence really look forward in contributing
> towards this project.

Good to know! You are very welcome to help us out in this.

> While searching for a UX/UI related project for me to contribute in GSoC
> 2015, I came intact with the project idea "AskFedora UX/UI & Functionality
> Overhaul". By looking at the mock ups provided I was more than happy to
> commit myself in developing the design idea for Ask Fedora.

All the best for GSoC. Please make yourself familiar with the process
and contact mentors. I would be there to help if needed as well.

> In the source for testing in Git, it says "After pulling this repository a
> few steps must be taken so the database is migrated and static files are
> generated". I need to know what are these steps so that I can start being
> familiarized with the code and modify it.

As far as I remember, after setting up everything, I used the command
line management option of askbot to do some more setup in the
openshift instance.

First, ssh to your instance. Then,

$ cd app-root/repo/wsgi/askbot_devel/
$ python manage.py syncdb
$ python manage.py collectstatic

Hopefully everything works after this. If not, ping me back, I will
see what I am missing here.

To let you (and others) know more, we are planning a overhaul of the
UI - a lot of UI will be written from scratch. Initial WIP designs of
main page (mobile version) are at :
http://sarupbanskota.github.io/askfedora-frontend/ and
http://tuxology.github.io/askfedora-frontend/ (usually both are in
sync but sometimes not). If you open this is a mobile (or scale your
browser down smaller), you would see how its intended to look. We will
make this repo public *very soon* as we reach a somewhat "showable"
state :)

Tentative plan : http://suchakra.in/random/redesign-plan.txt and
http://suchakra.in/random/redesign-plan.pdf

Once again, best of luck for GSoC. Keep on playing with askbot and
getting yourself familiarized with the setup in the meantime. Please
speak to the mentors as well.

--
Suchakra