Captive portal detection on wired connections - bug or feature?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Thu Mar 26 15:45:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 21:02 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> This was most likely caused by some issues with out proxy servers this
> evening. We were adding 3 new proxy servers into the rotation and there
> were some config issues with some of them. ;(
>
> This would have only affected some folks in North America sporadically,
> (when they happened to hit a proxy that wasn't working right) not
> everyone.
>
> Sorry this happened, everything should be back to normal now.

I think it would make sense to do a second ping to some other server if
the first one to fedoraproject.org fails, for robustness. Maybe to
redhat.com, or something that should never be down like google.com (my
vote), or to someplace that promises not to track users, like
duckduckgo.com (hardly matters much for a connectivity check?).