Naming packages when upstream uses dashes in the release version

Alexander Ploumistos alex.ploumistos at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:46:25 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have been working on a driver package from a hardware vendor and
besides some patches in the code, I am trying to bring the supplied
(messy) spec file close to our guidelines. (While most of the stuff in
the package relies on open source libraries and projects, there are
some files covered by a commercial license, so it will never be
included in fedora.)

What irks me the most, is that the version of the source package is
3.80-1 and this is reflected in the spec file macros (Version: 3.80,
Release 1), which are used extensively. I have seen other projects
name their releases in a xx.yy-z scheme and the information on the
wiki page does not cover this particular scenario. Is there a
recommended method when packaging such files? In this case, I have
been adding a date tag right after the release, so it's named like
3.80-1.20150505.