Working Around Recent Depcheck "inferior arch" Failures

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Fri May 8 01:31:53 UTC 2015

Recently, there have been some invalid failures in depcheck that take
the form of:

package foo-1.2-3.fc21.i686 requires foo-libs(x86-32) = 1.2-3.fc21, but
  none of the providers can be installed
foo-libs-1.2-3.fc21.i686 has inferior architecture

This issue has been particularly difficult for us to track down and
while we were finally able to reproduce it on a developer's system, we
don't have a fix for the root cause that we've found.

To keep the issue from affecting any more packagers, we pushed changes
to production Taskotron to mitigate the impact of these invalid
failures. Future occurrences will not show up as Bodhi comments and
unless you're following results in our systems closely, packagers
shouldn't notice any more of these failures.

When these failures happen, the job will be rerun and from what we've
seen so far it's unlikely that repeated jobs will hit this same issue.

If you do see any more of this type of invalid failure reported to
Bodhi, please let us know so we can fix it.

Tim

The details of what we changed:
  https://phab.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/T467

The original issue that we're still working on:
  https://phab.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/T366