ping6 and other tool6 awkwardness

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 12 08:04:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 09:56:45AM +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> While working for an updated ipcalc to support ipv6 transparently, I
> figured we have more tools which are not IPv6-ready and awkwardly
> provide an additional tool with a -6 suffix, supposedly for separate
> IPv6 support. That looks like a relic of the past, we still drag. IPv6
> support should be transparent in programs (fortunately we don't have
> ssh6). Any objection to fill bugs to merge the following tools with
> their ipv4 equivalent?
>
> ping6, geoiplookup6, tracepath6, traceroute6

While I agree with your assessment of the separate tools, I think
you're better off filing bugs with the upstream projects.

ping/ping6/tracepath/tracepath6: https://github.com/iputils/iputils
traceroute/traceroute6: http://traceroute.sourceforge.net
geoiplookup/geoiplookup6: http://www.maxmind.com/app/c

Rich.