fedup for F23 and beyond

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu May 28 18:44:42 UTC 2015

Am 28.05.2015 um 20:39 schrieb Przemek Klosowski:
> On 05/28/2015 11:42 AM, Will Woods wrote:
>>   Here's how it should work:
>>
>> 1) Download packages for the new system
>> 2) Use the systemd Offline Updates[2] facility to install packages
>>
>> This is really simple - simple enough that it should probably be
>> provided by the system packaging tools themselves.
> Actually, there is a broad issue here: is there a point where the system
> is so stable that updating is a continuous process without the need for
> a Fedora N -> N+1 transitions? Specifically, will we have a 3-digit
> Fedora release in May 2053 :-?
>
> It seems to me that the 6-month release cycle has traditionally been
> driven by two separate reasons: technology and workflow. The first is a
> need to accommodate major, incompatible technology shifts. The second
> one just introduces a natural cadence of work leading to an orderly
> release.
>
> Do you think the tech could stabilize enough to obviate the first
> reason? The 6-month workflow cadence remains a good idea, of course,
> but  could result in a major offline upgrade, instead of  an entire new
> distribution

who talks about a "entire new distribution"?

Fedora dist-upgrades are routine tasks with YUM here for years in
production so there is no "new distribution" nor a real need for going
offline and any Fedora release not be able to get upgraded online would
be a large step backwards

more than 20 servers installed in 2008 with F9 and now on F21 while
fully online and just a reboot like a ordinary kernel update - that's
how things have to work