Secure boot and packaging third-party kernel modules

Simon Farnsworth simon at farnz.org.uk
Fri May 29 15:04:22 UTC 2015

On Friday 29 May 2015 15:24:24 David Sommerseth wrote:

> On 28/05/15 23:03, David Smith wrote:
<snip>
> > But really the best solution here is to get the mhvtl kernel module
> > upstream.
>
> Agreed, but I'm not sure how keen upstream kernel developers are to
> carry a driver for virtual tape devices.  I've asked mhvtl upstream if
> that has been considered, but currently I'm not convinced that will
> happen any time soon.

As a different route, if upstream are still active, have they considered
using LIO's TCMU interface[1]?

Combine this with tcm_loop to provide local access to the LIO SCSI targets,
and it looks to provide the same featureset as mhvtl's kernel module, using
existing kernel infrastructure. Note that I've not dived in deep enough to
confirm that LIO is a competent solution here, but it looks like it provides
the features mhvtl needs.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/target/tcmu-design.txt

--
Just a thought,