Adobe CMap resources license change

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 05:33:57 UTC 2015

On 9 Sep 2015 4:07 am, "Ben Rosser" <rosser.bjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Ben Rosser wrote:
>>
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > I am not certain if any packages other than my python-pdfminer are
>> > currently using my packages of the Adobe CMap resources (
>> > https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/cmap-resources), but--
>> >
>> > The package versions have changed when the upstream repository was
moved
>> > from Sourceforge to github earlier this year. The license has also been
>> > changed from the three-clause BSD license to Apache License 2.0.
>> >
>> > I have upgraded and rebuilt the following packages for rawhide with the
>> > license change:
>> >
>> > cmap-japan1-6
>> > cmap-gb1-5
>> > cmap-cns1-6
>> > cmap-korean1-2
>> > cmap-identity0
>> >
>> > If there are no objections, I will push updates for F23 also.
>>
>> Interesting, I wasn't aware of these being packaged separately... mind
>> collaborating to integrate this into poppler-data (which also contains a
>> copy of most/all of these)?
>>
>> -- Rex
>>
>> --
>

> Sure, I'd be happy to collaborate on that.
>
> Taking a brief look at poppler-data, it seems like the right thing to do
would be to ship symlinks to the right locations under /usr/share/cmap and
add a Requires for the cmap packages? These directories are versioned, e.g.
"/usr/share/cmap/cmap-japan1-6-2012.08.14/", which seemed like a good idea
at the time.

> It looks like poppler-data also has the deprecated cmap-japan2-0
resources (
https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/cmap-resources/tree/master/Deprecated),
which are not currently packaged. I could fix this. :)

I am travelling currently so can't check the packages to answer this
question, but it occurred to me that the texlive-cmap package may also be
duplicating these files.

Jonathan