Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 14:55:44 UTC 2015

>> How do you propose to resolve symbol conflicts if both the system
>> library and the bundled library are loaded into the same process?
>>  The
>> current ELF linking scheme lacks good support for bundling libraries
>> whose exported symbols have not been mangled in some way.
>>

> I expect such cases to be rare and dealt with on an as-needed basis.
> Generally, projects either bundle or don't. The fuzzy area might be
> with plugins, I guess.

Not just plugins, anything that happens to compile the bundled library
into a DSO (either by itself, or as part of a larger sub-component) will
likely leak colliding symbols, unless special care is taken not to.

If we expect more bundling, then we need an alternative to the current
ELF linking model, IMHO.