[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 11 15:17:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:30:37PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> 4. It seems fairly clear that BOMP was intended to mean, basically,
> 'don't take a bunch of tarballs from different places and stuff them
> all into one package'. It was *not* intended to cover 'library
> bundling' in any sense. I'd suggest that it should be clarified
> somewhat - perhaps including an explicit internal link to DOSL - and
> the link from BOMP to NBL should be *removed*, since it is not
> appropriate there.

In other words, the initial concern was keeping _Fedora_ from bundling
things, not with keeping upstreams from doing it (or even rejecting
upstreams that did). I think that's probably because that practice
upstream was much more rare back then — it just wasn't a big issue, and
it probably seemed reasonable that we _could_ influence the weird cases
where it did happen.

> Does this make sense to folks? I'm willing to draft up the changes and
> file an FPC ticket if so. I think any debate on what changes should be
> made to the current policies would benefit from these changes to make
> what the current policies actually *are* clearer, so I don't mind
> doing it even if they all have to change again fairly soon.

Makes sense, yeah.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>