[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 11 20:31:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 20:20 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> > Again, I don't actually think the answer here is "screw it, let's
> > bundle everything" - but I do believe it's reasonable to say that
> > the
> > strict no-bundling policy is causing a lot of fairly pointless work
>
> I hardly call people dedicating their free time into something they
> believe in is the right course of action as pointless work but OK.

As someone who's unbundled multiple things before, I'd say most of the
time, the unbundling felt like make-work. The thing I actually wanted
to do was package the bundled app. Unbundling the bundled stuff was
not  doing something I 'believe in as the right course of action', it
was jumping through policy hoops.

When the thing being unbundled was actually a genuine software project
which might reasonably be used by other code, and had a proper
versioning policy and stability guarantee and all the other things a
proper library should have, that was one thing, but when it was 30
lines of PHP in a github repo which had never cut a single 'stable
release' but just expected dependent projects to dump a git checkout
into their source trees using Composer, I didn't exactly feel like I
was moving the world forward much. But:

> There exist cases on both sides but that argument is irrelevant in
> the
> end since all roads lead to the bigger question

We certainly agree on that.

>  which has already been
> answered by the board.
> ( people will first debate where to draw the line if that discussion
> wont be killed in birth but in the end they end up with the same
> question as has already been answered )

Eh, I'm not sure it's really been fully addressed, and even if it has,
if enough people feel like the topic needs revisiting, it seems wise
to revisit it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey