Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 14 11:56:56 UTC 2015

> On 09/13/2015 09:23 PM, Haïkel wrote:
>> I'm not speaking about PHP, most of the upstream I deal with
>> are python developers. Bad habits are rather spreading than
>> regressing.
>
> We're not going to solve that problem by adopting bad habits
> ourselves.
>
> Andrew.

Did I request somewhere to *drop* unbundling?
I'm more concerned by the current habit to let bundled libraries sneak
in the repositories without being properly tracked rather than a
non-existing one.
I suggested that we allow to a certain extent bundling under conditions:
* enforcing bundled libraries tracking
* requiring approval from trusted packagers (I suggested that
Fesco/FPC allow selected SIGs to grant bundling requests on *limited*
set of packages => ie: python SIG for python modules that are not
critpath)
* distinguishing case where unbundling is unnecessary (ie: upstream
maintains both lib and application, and lib is not meant to be used
standalone)

That still leaves out a lot of packages not acceptable in Fedora and
I'm more in favor of tighter integration of copr for these (ie: having
blessed copr repo)
Nick made a very appealing proposal about software pipeline in that area.

Our role is mitigate bad habits and educate upstream, not ignoring them.

Regards,
H.