Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 14 18:38:58 UTC 2015

Am 14.09.2015 um 20:31 schrieb Gerald Henriksen:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:45:13 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> if Fedora changes to more and more recommend "pip", "gem" and "cpan"
>> like installs instead RPM packages it is no longer a distribution over
>> the long because that would mean finally you have a core OS and handle
>> anything else like Microsoft or Apple - does anybody really want to go
>> that road?
>
> It's not a case of whether anyone here wants to go down that road or
> not, because we are already there.
>
> There is a reason that the Atomic / CoreOS idea combined with Docker
> is gaining traction, and it is because it deals with the reality of
> dealing with software whose dependencies don't work in the traditional
> distribution world

so i don't live in the real world?

there are just two pieces of software on my machines not from the fedora
rpm repos and i am fure sure a heavy user doing a ton of things you
hardly find somebody doing them all in one person

it's simple: crap which "dependencies don't work in the traditional
distribution world" was not useda nd will not be used and i talk for
around 800 customers uing our servcies based on Fedora
____________________

* VMware Workstation
* Zend Studio (running with openjdk from Fedora)

that's it - AND NO - there is no business try to pack every php thing as
RPM because - as example wordpress - who the hell gains anything with a
package when you have 10, 100, 200 users with their webspace and just a
single location - that works for things like phpMyAdmin with a simple
authentication against the database server but not for virtual webspaces
- but nobody right in his mind expects that to work with RPM and/or
distribution packages

AND NO - don't tell me "the world now works that way everywhere" - i
here the same bullshit "anybody is using mobile devices" for years now
and i can't hear it any longer - not as main device for serious things
and that won't change