Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Sep 14 20:41:27 UTC 2015

On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 21:35, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 02:38:55PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > New bundling exception could be granted automatically in cases where:
> > * the bundled code is not packaged in Fedora yet
> > * no other Fedora package bundles it already
> > However, the above puts the burden of unbundling on the second packager
> > who attempts to package something that bundles the same code.
>
> Maybe it's optimistic, but _hopefully_ the first packager would help in
> this case?

I wanted to say that, but by the time a second package which bundles the
same code gets reviewed, the first package might have changed its
maintainer already in the worst case and the original packager might
have moved on.

The best case would be when, by the time a second bundler appears, the
first bundler has already unbundled the code in question.

My gut feeling is that the most common case will be that the bundled
code is still bundled by the time a second bundler appears, so yes
assistance from the first packager would be helpful and something that
should be encouraged.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org