Fedora Ring 0 definition

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Sep 15 15:22:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015, at 11:03 AM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:

> We talked about a related question at flock: Should packages built as
> COPRs be allowed into low level rings?  The answer from RCM was no,
> due to trust and stability issues.  I think we're assuming ring 0 is
> RPMs because we don't have a second package format that we deeply
> understand and think is suitable.

"We're building self-hosted binary RPMs from spec files because that's what we know"
is very much a path to (at best) incremental improvement.  That's not necessarily bad
- the current model has its successes, but if we're taking this opportunity to really
think about how we do what we do, I certainly think it's worth looking
at the advantages and disadvantages of more radical changes.

Sometimes, systems reach a "local maximum", where minor change in any
direction actually makes things worse.  You have to seek much larger
change to find a different (ideally higher) local maximum.

And concretely comparing with OpenEmbedded, it has a separation between build rules
and delivery formats.  It can generate debs or rpms, and I have some
work on direct OpenEmbedded -> OSTree.  (One could also do today
OpenEmbedded -> rpms -> rpm-ostree -> ostree, or
OpenEmbedded -> rpms -> docker build).

> It's certainly an argument for ring 0 being the minimal install ;-)
> How do you deliver updates?

That depends on the product.  For Project Atomic, I could certainly
imagine having the Atomic Host portion come from something
like OpenEmbedded (ideally with a more continuous delivery process on top
for the key components I've prototyped elsewhere).

The Docker base image is a lot trickier, as a lot of the ecosystem
taps binary packages.  That said though, we could certainly continue
to provide binary RPMs, or alternatively, a common set of recipes that
downstream consumers can use to build their own.