Fedora Ring 0 definition

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 15:52:59 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-15, Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com> wrote:
> It would be really helpful if we had some automated mechanism that
> upon rebase, all packages that used the rebase package as
> a BuildRequires was auto-scratch-built.

We have <https://apps.fedoraproject.org/koschei/>. Unfortnutely it's
only a wrapper above koji, so the granularity is a koji repository
creation that usually involves multiple changed packages.

> Failure notice could go to both package owners.

It generates fedbus events. However I worry notification system can
recognize only the direct package owner. It cannot retrieve list of changed
dependencies and map them to their owners. (This is general FMN issue
not specific to Koschei events.)

> Would this be a spamathon or genuinely helpful?

It would. But there should be some limit. Rebasing very basic package
would spam thousands of people.

Also some rebases requires coordination between more packages. It would
be great if it were possible to specify that a rebase consists of
more packages.

Maybe each rebase should be built into genuine site tag and after
passing these tests and resolving/waving all issues, the package could be
rebuilt into real rawhide. And maybe it would create race conditions
between these genuine site tags and we would have to deal with rebasing
and serializing them. So maybe the current rawhide chaos is easier to
manage.

-- Petr